Wednesday, October 22, 2008

They grow them in vats, you know.

While I'm faffing about in a basement on Brick Lane (I got the sleeper back, or I would have bought Jayne that drink I promised her, and maybe seen if Boz wanted to come out as well, although the Great Blue Cat Booze Up will have to wait for another time now), I get a message on my phone from (Unnamed Script Editor), in which he explains his concerns I may have "failed to sufficiently internalize those notes" he had recently sent. I'm not entirely sure what this means. Was I supposed to eat them?

Then another call from Patroclus:

PATROCLUS: That script editor called for you, because he couldn't get you on the phone. I said you were on the train, and then he asked if you were completely peripatetic.

ME: (outraged) HOW DARE HE CALL ME THIN-BLOODED!

PATROCLUS: (patient) It means you move around a lot.

ME: Oh.

It's true, I do move around a lot, like Mick Jagger.

Later I get another phone message from (Unnamed Script Editor). He wants me to come in for a meeting so we can 'headline some stuff'. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT. I've decided that I will go to the meeting, but will only talk in Cornish. That'll learn them.

11 comments:

Tim F said...

I had a boss whose highest compliment was "that's totally out of control". I told him I'd just got back from Tokyo, and he said "that place is totally out of control, isn't it?"

When I told him that, no, it was a meticulously planned and ordered metropolis and the taxi drivers wore spotless white gloves and there was no chewing gum on the escalators, he looked at me as I were simple-minded.

Vicus Scurra said...

Damn! I don't have any meetings today. You are so lucky. I am just going to have to stay at home and leverage my synergies.

Boz said...

It worries me that script editors willfully use words like peripatetic. I must never play Scrabble against a script editor.

But hooray for a GBCBU! Sounds like an excellent idea...

Anonymous said...

Did you know how to spell peripatetic, or did Patrolus have to help out there too!

It's one of those words I'd have to think about very hard before attempting to pronounce it out loud, meaning any impressing others by using big and impressive words would be completely lost by the time I'd stuttered out all the phoemes involved!

James Henry said...

I did have to take a run up at it, to be honest.

Valerie said...

It was probably his word of the day on his "Build your vocabulary" calendar, and he was probably all excited to have a chance to use it. Think of the joy you gave him.

realdoc said...

When I see anyone in a motorised wheelchair the words peripatetic paraplegic always spring to mind.

Eleanor said...

How did it go, with the speaking only Cornish?

James Henry said...

Meeting's next week. Will report dreckly.

Eleanor said...

:)

Boz said...

You could live blog the meeting. Show Them how truly 21st century Cornwall is. You might not get much done, but we'd know what kind of biscuits they are serving.

Which is very important, obviously. Critical to business success I would go so far as to say.